Checking out Mob Movie / Sopranos Con

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Checking out Mob Movie / Sopranos Con

Post by Cozmik »

Last weekend was the Mob Movie / Sopranos Con in Atlantic City. Late Saturday I decided there were at least a couple names I couldn't pass up. So I got up in the middle of the night and drove to attend Sunday.

There were a couple annoyances: having to buy $20 autograph tickets without knowing how many each guest charged made no sense and the over-sized photos most of the guests had to sign instead of having 8x10's available.

First thing there I went to meet Aida Turturro (Janice from the Sopranos). This is where I first encountered the larger pictures instead of 8x10's. I keep my signed photos in binders and decided since they wouldn't fit I'd just get a photo with her. She was nice and has lost a lot of weight since the Sopranos.

Next I went to see Giancarlo Esposito from Breaking Bad. I found he had the large photos as well and figured out almost every celebrity had them and not 8x10's. There was no way I was going to pass up getting an autograph from him and some others so I bit the bullet and decided I'd figure out something to do with the oversize pictures later.
ImageImage

Third stop was Dominic Chianese, Uncle Junior from the Sopranos. He seemed really enjoy being there and had 8x10's.
ImageImage
Since the last name I really wanted hadn't arrived yet, I decided to get in line for Lorraine Bracco of the Soprano's. They had her set up in sort of a replica of Dr Melfi's office where you would enter and sit in a chair that looked like the one Tony Soprano sat in during his appointments. She was in a chair with a table dividing you, providing her with some social distance from the public. She required you to be masked to enter her area but once you were in you could remove the mask for a photo. That set up seemed like a good idea but the photo seems like she's further away then it felt at the time and is just a little bit awkward. I found her to be very nice and enjoyed talking to her. She also had the large photos to sign and the only choice was color or black and white of the same picture.
ImageImage

Finally, a name I definitely wanted to meet had arrived while I was talking to Bracco: Michael Madsen from so many films including several of Quentin Tarantino's including Kill Bill and the most iconic scene in Reservoir Dogs. Got him to sign an large picture from Kill Bill and had a short discussion about Kill Bill. He said he tried to convince Tarantino to let his character toss dynamite in the strip club where he took so much abuse as a bouncer.
ImageImage

What I finally ended up doing with the oversize photos was to scan them in halfs, reassemble the halfs in Photoshop and print out 8x10's for the binders and put the originals in storage.

I enjoyed the Mob Movie and Soprano;s con despite those little annoying quirks and could easily have spent a fortune and more time there but I will have to think hard before going to another con put on by VirtualCon unless they make some tweaks to those little issues.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Checking out Mob Movie / Sopranos Con

Post by WOODMO »

Awesome stuff man! I disagree on the Bracco photo being awkward, I am actually quite envious of that one. I got a photo in that set on the last Sopranos con, and this one turned out great with Melfi. Also quite shocked Madsen actually showed up.
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Cozmik »

WOODMO wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:30 pm Awesome stuff man! I disagree on the Bracco photo being awkward, I am actually quite envious of that one. I got a photo in that set on the last Sopranos con, and this one turned out great with Melfi. Also quite shocked Madsen actually showed up.
OK, I'm going to rethink my Bracco photo.
The con opened up at 10:00. They didn't get Madsen down from his room until noon. Standing in line for Bracco, I watched when he showed up. He was wearing sunglasses until just before I got to him. Must have been a rough night.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Cozmik wrote: August 1st, 2021, 6:58 pm
WOODMO wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:30 pm Awesome stuff man! I disagree on the Bracco photo being awkward, I am actually quite envious of that one. I got a photo in that set on the last Sopranos con, and this one turned out great with Melfi. Also quite shocked Madsen actually showed up.
OK, I'm going to rethink my Bracco photo.
The con opened up at 10:00. They didn't get Madsen down from his room until noon. Standing in line for Bracco, I watched when he showed up. He was wearing sunglasses until just before I got to him. Must have been a rough night.
I imagine most nights are for him lol I fully expected him to make it to AC, I just didn’t expect him to show up on the convention floor.
zuko3984
Marking Out Amateur

Post by zuko3984 »

Was thinking of going to this but couldn't get off from work. You got some great autographs and photos. Your photo with Lorraine Bracco is cool but to be honest I'm not a fan of the social distance photo ops. Still better then the masked photo ops but they both always look awkward to me.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

zuko3984 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 4:43 am Was thinking of going to this but couldn't get off from work. You got some great autographs and photos. Your photo with Lorraine Bracco is cool but to be honest I'm not a fan of the social distance photo ops. Still better then the masked photo ops but they both always look awkward to me.
Maybe I am too positive, but I wouldn’t even call it social distance photo. It’s a photo on a pretty good mock set in her most famous location. Even without Covid I’d take that over a random photo at a table together personally. To me the layout, like in a therapy session, absolutely makes the photo.
Joresky

Post by Joresky »

Very cool stuff! Looks like you got some great scores.. personally I wouldn't have liked getting the Lorraine Bracco socially distanced pic even though they were creative with the way they did it but if you're happy with it thats all that matters
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Nice report Coz, and frankly you got a bunch of very good names that you're not going to see at other cons. Frankly I didn't find the pricing that bad, especially during the pandemic. The Bracco op was very cool if you're a Soprano's fan. Otherwise I could see it being dumb.

PS: LOL on Madsen, I think it's always a "rough night" for him.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Cozmik »

Greg2600 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 3:29 pm Nice report Coz, and frankly you got a bunch of very good names that you're not going to see at other cons. Frankly I didn't find the pricing that bad, especially during the pandemic. The Bracco op was very cool if you're a Soprano's fan. Otherwise I could see it being dumb.

PS: LOL on Madsen, I think it's always a "rough night" for him.
No pricing wasn't bad. I thought about getting Oksana because she was only $20. It was just the mystery of the prices and the extra line to stand in if you didn't buy the tickets you wanted when you registered.
16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times »

Great report! Thanks for posting

I got a little out of the habit of checking Marked Out regularly since the pandemic, so it's cool to be reading reports again.

I like the Dr. Melfi pose....in fact, when I first saw it, I thought it was genius. Built in social distance that looks completely natural. I'd get that pic, Covid or not.

So...how did it work with the pre-purchase $20 auto tickets? What if you ended up with some left over?
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Cozmik »

16times wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 6:48 pm So...how did it work with the pre-purchase $20 auto tickets? What if you ended up with some left over?
Yeah that's the thing. I asked if I could return them if I bought too many and they said no. Greg posted a price list before so I kind of knew what I wanted and bought enough for everyone except Bracco, thinking I'd get more if I decided to deal with her line after getting my others. Between my reluctance to get Aida Turturro's autograph on an over-sized photo, Vivica Fox not showing and Madsen running late, I started to worry I bought too many tickets. So I got in Bracco's line and it worked out for me in the end.